Public Liability Insurance For your Business
As much as we like to hope otherwise, accidents do happen. Regardless of the industry you operate in, as a business owner you are liable for property damage and personal injury* to a third parties resulting from your business activities. Whether you work from your own business premises, a home office, your client’s premises, or even out in public, you have a responsibility to your customers, suppliers, and the community. The last thing you want to have to think about is paying hefty legal costs should an unwanted accident occur.
Public Liability Insurance, often referred to as General Liability, gives you peace of mind, protecting you and your business against such claims by providing compensation for property damage, and personal injury or death in circumstances that are not covered by the Accident Compensation Commission (ACC). It also covers any legal defence costs you incur as a result of defending yourself.
Independent feedback from our customers rated our service at excellent.
Get the cover that’s right for your business
With BizCover there are 4 levels of Public Liability cover to choose from, being $1 million, $2 million, $5 million, and $10 million.
Policies are typically tailored to suit the type of industry your business operates within. However, the amount of cover required will vary from one business to another. When deciding on how much cover you need for your business, consider the following factors:
- Do any of your contracts require a minimum level of cover?
- Has your industry body set a minimum level of cover for membership?
- Does your business or trade license require a minimum amount of cover?
- Do the terms of your lease require a minimum level of cover?
- Finally, think about what your level of risk and exposure could be. What kind of accidents could occur, and what could be the potential cost of a claim?
What does Public Liability Insurance cover?
No matter if your business is big or small, Public Liability insurance provides peace of mind for claims for third party property damage or personal injury.
Public Liability insurance protects your business by providing compensation for property damage and personal injury or death in circumstances not covered by the Accident Compensation Commission (ACC).
The ACC looks after most of the exposure in NZ for accidental personal injury, however it doesn’t provide protection for businesses that export their products. It also doesn’t cover claims for food poisoning, an area which food and hospitality businesses need protection in.
Some examples include:
- The costs to repair or replace damaged property- for example if you were on the job renovating a client’s home and cause damage to their property.
- Cover for injury claims- Public Liability insurance typically provides compensation for personal injury or death to third parties where the ACC does not provide cover
- Legal and defence costs- covers the applicable legal costs related to the cost of defending your claim
What is covered?
- Compensation for accidental damage to third party property
- Compensation for personal injury or death to third parties where the ACC does not provide cover
- Legal and defence costs
What is typically NOT covered?
- Injury to your employees
- Damage to your own property
- Compensation for personal injury whereby cover is provided by the ACC
- Known claims and circumstances
Protect your business today.
What is difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?
Public Liability insurance protects you and your business against the financial implications if you are found liable for loss or damage to other people’s property, or cause illness or injury that is not covered by the Accident Compensation Commission (ACC).
Professional Indemnity Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance is an important form of protection for businesses that provide specialist services or professional advice. It is designed to respond to claims against your business for losses as a result of actual or alleged negligent acts or omissions in the provision of your professional service or advice. PI Insurance will also assist with the legal costs associated with responding to or managing claims which are covered by the policy.
How much does Public Liability Insurance cost?
There are a whole host of factors that are taken into consideration when calculating the cost of a Public Liability insurance policy.
With such a wide range of industries and occupations that require Public Liability insurance, the cost of a policy can vary considerably, determined by a number of key factors which may include:
- Your occupation
- The type and nature of your business activities
- Your business turnover and size
- The amount of insurance cover your business requires
- Other factors that could affect the cost of your Public Liability policy include the location of your business, the inclusions and exclusions of your policy, and the insurance provider you select.
* * As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. The information contained on this web page is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.
Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience
Nothing to add. Already great
Very happy with my service, thank you
Great service ,so easy
Visit our Contact Us page, where you can find out how to get in touch with one of our business insurance professionals.
You can also access quick links to our self-service portal, where you can download your Certificate of Currency, update your payment details, amend your cover and download your policy documents.