Allied Health
Professional Insurance

    • Trusted by over 1000 Health Professionals
    • Comprehensive industry specific policy wording
    • Buy online, Get coverage immediately

Why Do Allied Health Professionals Need Business Insurance?

Operating as an allied health professional means assisting a wide mix of clients, each with their own personal needs and requirements. Your role is to help them get on the right path to feeling their best selves by delivering your professional allied health skills and expertise.

As a small business owner, you may have strategies in place to help keep your business going for the long run, and business insurance is one thing you should consider.

These are some examples^ of when business insurance can provide protection to your allied health business.

  • A client may allege that the advice you gave them didn’t meet their needs and was inappropriate for their circumstances
  • Ensure that you protect the things that help to keep your business going like business assets with contents, building and portable equipment insurance
  • Holding valuable information like your customer files and data means it may be subject to a data breach if a cyber-attack were to occur- that’s where Cyber Liability insurance could help.
  • If you work within a fitness facility Public Liability insurance may be a requirement
  • A client may slip, trip or fall on your business premises, resulting in an injury and potential claim
  • Damage to your business contents through events like fire or theft

Did You Know?

BizCover is the preferred insurance partner of Podiatry NZ, Massage NZ, Nutrition Society and Reflexology NZ. If you’re a member you’ll save on your Professional Indemnity & Public Liability cover with our exclusive member rates.

Insurance for Allied Health Professionals

Professional Indemnity

Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance provides essential financial protection for Allied Health Professionals for claims made against them in carrying out their professional services or treatments.

Allied Health Professionals generally require professional indemnity to comply with professional association requirements, professional standards legislation or to meet the requirements of many clients.

What is covered?

  • Damages and claimant costs awarded against the insured
  • Legal and defence costs
  • Claims investigation costs
  • Inquiry attendance costs
  • Public relations costs

What is NOT covered?

  • Intentional damage
  • Known claims and circumstances
  • Fraud and dishonesty
  • Bodily injury / property damage

Allied Health covers a broad range of modalities, including:

  • Acupuncture
  • Beautician
  • Bowen therapy
  • Chiropractors
  • Counsellor
  • Dietician (Nutritionist)
  • Homeopaths
  • Homoeopathy
  • Hypnotherapy
  • Kinesiology
  • Life Coach
  • Massage Therapists
  • Medicine – Chinese
  • Medicine – Herbal
  • Meditation
  • Natural Therapists
  • Neurohealth Chiropractor
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Optometrists
  • Osteopaths
  • Personal Trainer
  • Physiotherapy
  • Pilates
  • Podiatry
  • Psychological
  • Psychotherapy
  • Reflexology
  • Speech Therapy
  • Traditional Therapists
  • Weight Loss Centres
  • Yoga Instructors

Public Liability and Product Liability

Public and Product Liability Insurance covers Allied Health Professionals for their legal liability in the event of personal injury or damage to property of others during the course of normal business operations or as a result of a product defect.

If your business/practice requires your customers or members of the public to visit your home or business, or if you visit their premises, you should seriously consider taking out public liability insurance for your protection.

What is covered?

  • Compensation for accidental damage to third party property
  • Compensation for personal injury or death to third parties where the ACC does not provide cover
  • Legal and defence costs

What is typically NOT covered?

  • Injury to your employees
  • Damage to your own property
  • Compensation for personal injury whereby cover is provided by the ACC
  • Known claims and circumstances

Protect your business today.

Business Insurance*

It’s important to take the time to consider protecting the assets that help to keep your business running.

There are a variety of different types of business insurance options to help keep your allied health business protected, these are a few to consider:

Contents: Covers your business contents or stock if they are damaged in a fire, storm or due to malicious damage or some other defined event listed in the policy

Building: Cover for loss and damage to buildings you own, as a result of an insured event (such as fire, storm, wind).

Portable Equipment: Portable Equipment insurance (also known as General Property insurance) covers you for loss and damage to items of portable equipment associated with your business. These can include tools of trade and items of stock.

Claim example

A yoga instructor hired premises in a busy centre to run a studio. From the time of occupation, she complained to the landlord about the air conditioning in the premises. Despite numerous complaints and heated discussions, nothing was ever rectified by the landlord. The yoga instructor then left the premises prematurely and she left a note on the door explaining that she had moved premises and what she thought of the landlord. She followed this up with an interview in a local newspaper whilst promoting her new location. The landlord sued the yoga instructor for defamation. The professional indemnity policy responded and paid for significant legal costs (equivalent to one years revenue) before the matter went away.


As an allied health professional do I need both Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance and Public Liability insurance both cover very different risks that may impact your allied health business.

Working on site or having clients visit you at your place of business makes Public Liability insurance an important form of cover to protect you against injuries or damage to third parties when not covered by the ACC.

Professional Indemnity insurance protects you against claims that may arise from a client who experiences a financial loss as a result of your allied health advice or services. For example, these could be claims for things like advising an inappropriate form of treatment.

When may I need Public Liability insurance?

As an allied health professional, Public Liability insurance may be required in a few instances. These are some typical ones when it may be needed:

  • If you are working on a contract, you may be required to have a minimum amount of cover in place
  • If you are leasing a property as your business premises it may be part of your rental agreement
  • If you are working from home, you may need to consider taking out cover to protect yourself
  • It may be a requirement to become a registered provider for certain health funds
  • To become a member of certain professional membership bodies, you may need to have Public Liability insurance in place

Get more information

Find out more about all things business insurance and running your own small business with our blog articles

5 Long term money saving tips for your small business

Saving a dollar here and there can quickly add up, and when you operate your own small business, every bit helps! Find out more about you could help save your business money for the long haul

* This information is a general guide only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs.  As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. The information contained on this web page is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.

The provision of the claims examples are for illustrative purposes only and should not be seen as an indication as to how any potential claim will be assessed or accepted. Cover for a claim will depend on the specific circumstances around the loss and would be subject to the terms and conditions of the policy concerned.

Customer Reviews

Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience

Need Help?

Visit our Contact Us page, where you can find out how to get in touch with one of our business insurance professionals. 

You can also access quick links to our self-service portal, where you can download your Certificate of Currency, update your payment details, amend your cover and download your policy documents. 


Popular Searches