Public Liability insurance* is something you’re probably familiar with as a tradie and it was more than likely one of the first types of insurances you may have taken out. The last thing you want to be faced with is a Public Liability claim, so we’ve created a guide on how to manage your risks as a tradie.
Working with tools, specialised equipment and clients can be a recipe for all kinds of risks if a level of care and responsibility isn’t taken. Our guide looks at a few ways you can manage and try to minimise your exposure to things going topsy turvy!
Creating a safe working environment
Whether it is working on site or having clients visit your business premises, as a small business owner there is a level of responsibility when it comes to creating a safe environment. There are a few things to keep in mind when managing this kind of risk, here’s a quick list to check:
- Make sure you don’t leave things like long cables lying around, these can be a trip hazard.
- Don’t leave sharp tools and equipment around where someone could potentially hurt themselves with
- If you have clients and suppliers visiting your workplace, keep it clean and free of any trip hazards e.g. paths and walkways
Be site smart
The beauty of being a tradie is the variety of jobs that you get to work on. Whether you specialise in commercial or domestic sites, having a sense of awareness of your work site is crucial.
These are some things to remember:
- Observe the site and note down any potential risks
- Take a moment to plan around eliminating or managing these risks
- For some work sites, certain qualifications and levels of Public Liability need to be held, so check these well before your boots hit the soil
- If you are managing a team, make sure that any risks are communicated and shared, and that the appropriate safety materials and measures are being used
Stick to your limits
Some jobs may require different skills and kinds of work to get the task done. Whilst it may be tempting to undertake it yourself, the risk of not being properly trained or experienced with certain tools and equipment could cause more problems than what it is worth.
It’s also important to remember that when you take out your Public Liability insurance policy, you are insured for the type of business that you note at the time of taking out your policy. If this varies from the original type of business activities that you are insured for, you may need to amend your policy to note this.
Have your Public Liability insurance in order
Double checking that your Public Liability insurance is in order, is something you can manage without running the risk of not having proper coverage in place. Things can change quickly, and the type of Public Liability insurance you may have originally taken out for your tradie business may not be up to date, reflecting your tradie business’ current situation.
Ensuring that everything is in order with your policy may save a lot of heartache and trouble if a claim were to occur. Here are some things to double check and update with your tradie Public Liability insurance policy:
- Your business activities- are the activities noted still the same as the ones your tradie business performs
- Has your business grown? Do you have more employees?
- Has your businesses revenue increased? Are you taking on bigger jobs? Is the potential cost of claim higher because of the size of the jobs you are now working on?
If Public Liability insurance has been on your mind, whether you are a seasoned Jack (or Jill) of all trades, or brand new to the tradie arena, get in touch with BizCover. We understand how busy life gets and when you run your own tradie business, getting things like your Public Liability insurance sorted can take up time.
We like to keep things simple, so there’s no paperwork to fill out or fancy insurance lingo to try and translate. Just the important bits to keep your tradie insurance easy to get, quicker than a smoko break.
To find out more about Public Liability insurance for tradies or other business insurance options like Tool and Portable Equipment cover*, Cyber Liability insurance* or Business Pack* options get in touch by jumping online or giving us a call 0800 249 268 .
Our friendly insurance specialist are there to assist with your questions and put your mind at ease when it comes to tradie business insurance.
*This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. © 2023 BizCover Limited.