Insurance for Mechanics

    • Compare quotes from leading New Zealand insurance providers
    • Buy online instantly- no paperwork required
    • Tailored policies to suit your profession needs

Why do Mechanics need Insurance?

Whether you’re a freelance mechanic, own your own garage or do custom builds, there’s no denying there’s elements of risk that come with the job. Your client’s put their trust in your mechanical skills and experience when they hand their keys over to their vehicle, so when there’s a spanner in the works you want to ensure you have the right business insurances in place to protect your mechanical business.

There are many different types of insurances available to help keep your business protected when you need it most. From Public Liability insurance when dealing with third-parties to Professional Indemnity insurance for when you give professional advice, it’s important to take the time to understand how business insurance is there to protect your business from unwanted risks.

Did You Know?

If your mechanical business is out and about on the road you may want to consider Portable Equipment cover, protecting your specialised equipment anywhere in New Zealand from Milford sound to Auckland!

Insurance for Mechanics

Public Liability Insurance*

Dealing with customers, suppliers and members of the public as a mechanic means there is a chance for unwanted accidents and incidents to occur, even if you take all the care in the world to create a safe working space. This is where the fundamental type of business insurance Public Liability comes into play.

Public Liability insurance is designed to provide protection for you and your business in the event a customer, supplier or a member of the public are injured (and not covered by the Accident Compensation Commission (ACC) ) or sustain property damage as a result of your negligent business activities.

What does Public Liability insurance typically cover?

Compensation for accidental damage to third party property

Compensation for personal injury or death to third parties where the ACC does not provide cover

Legal and defence costs

What is typically NOT covered by Public Liability insurance?

Injury to your employees

Damage to your own property

Compensation for personal injury whereby cover is provided by the ACC

Known claims and circumstances

Professional Indemnity Insurance*

If you’re giving your clients advice about their vehicles there’s always a chance that things could backfire, resulting in a costly claim. This is where Professional Indemnity insurance can provide protection.

Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance is an important form of protection for businesses that provide

specialist services or professional advice. It is designed to respond to claims against your business for

losses as a result of actual or alleged negligent acts or omissions in the provision of your professional

service or advice. PI Insurance will also assist with the legal costs associated with responding to or

managing claims which are covered by the policy.

Protect your business today.

Business Insurance*

There are many moving parts when it comes to running your own mechanics business. This is where Business Insurance can provide protection for the things that keep your mechanical business revving!

Business Insurance is an insurance package designed to provide cover for your business contents, stock, tools and commercial premises when an insured event occurs (such as fire, storm, theft or even accidental damage). A Business Insurance policy can also cover your portable equipment, and loss of revenue due to business interruption in specified circumstances.

Some of the different types of Business Insurances to consider:

  • Building insurance*- Covers physical loss or damage to your insured buildings as a result of an insured event (such as fire, storm, flood and other perils).
  • Contents insurance*- A Business Insurance policy covers physical loss or damage to your insured contents as a result of insured perils. Contents also includes, but is not limited to, cover for; Glass, Transit (of insured property within NZ), Money, Equipment Breakdown, Refrigerated Goods, Theft, Employee Effects, Seasonal Stock Increases.
  • Portable Equipment insurance*- Covers you for loss and damage to your tools and equipment due to theft, fire and other perils listed in the wording, anywhere in New Zealand.

Cyber Liability insurance*

Storing important and sensitive information like your client’s vehicle and personal data online, runs the real risk of being compromised if a cyber attack were to occur. Cyber Liability insurance is there to provide a safeguard in the event you were a target of a cyber crime, giving you some much needed peace of mind.

Cyber liability insurance is a type of business insurance which protects your business against both the legal costs and expenses related to cybercrime incidents. Your coverage may generally include cover for expenses and restoration costs relating to the following:

  • Data breaches including theft or loss of client information
  • Network Security Breaches
  • Business interruption costs
  • Forensic investigation into the cause or scope of a breach
  • Data recovery costs
  • Cyber Extortion
  • Crisis management costs (to protect or mitigate damage to your businesses reputation resulting from a cyber event)
  • Loss and Legal costs, including fines and penalties resulting from a third party claim for data or network security breach against your company

*This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. 

© 2022 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved.
ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769

BizCover Limited is owned by BizCover Pty Ltd (ABN 68 127 707 975)

Need Help?

Visit our Contact Us page, where you can find out how to get in touch with one of our business insurance professionals. 

You can also access quick links to our self-service portal, where you can download your Certificate of Currency, update your payment details, amend your cover and download your policy documents. 


Popular Searches